Designing Small Scale Development
19/06/2018 (Full day)
What are the common challenges to designing small scale infill schemes in urban locations? How can we better design, evaluate and deliver homes on these sites? Using award-winning case studies and an afternoon site visit, we will understand the details needed to deliver small scale developments.
- Behind the need for infill sites – Justin Carr, GLA
- Uncovering Hackney small sites – Vincent Walsh, Urban R+D
- Overcoming site constraints – Chris Twinn, Twinn Sustainability Innovation
How to Help People Walk More
What motivates people to walk and how we can positively design streets and places to encourage more walking in London? Experts will outline the issues in a series of interactive presentations.
- A Movement Code for London – Pat Brown, Centre for London
- Movement in the City – Bruce McVean, City of London
- Inclusive Access from Home to the High Street – Teresa Rumble, Centre for Accessible Environments
Sponsored by WSP
The dark art of viability explained in an enjoyable workshop. Together we undertake a viability assessment taking into account all the deliverables including housing and wider community needs, balancing profit with public benefit. Book early to avoid disappointment.
- Hugh Lacey – Pioneer Property Services
- John Wacher/ Charles Solomon – GLA
- Valerie Conway – David Lock Associates
Sponsored by Barratt London
Site Visit: Housing & cycling tour
Kicking off at Greenwich we pick up Santander bikes and cycle Quietway One to City Hall (approx. 4 miles). Along the route we meet built environment professionals sharing their knowledge of new housing schemes. Limited numbers available.